« It’s odd how much we can talk about ourselves here, when in fact
this is really about YOU and your desire to celebrate something unique,
without tricks, without following protocols, without posing,
without anyone telling you what to do in a day that truly belongs to you,
because you will do everything wonderfully beautiful if you do it your way »
Anyways if you’re still curious to know about us here it goes: It was 2015, we were both studying Art Photography at the School of Higher Art and Design (EASD) in Valencia. It was David’s first year and Carla’s second. David had noticed a tall girl with Japanese-like eyes. He used to see her in the halls of the school but there was never a thread from which to pull and start a conversation … Until the last week of classes –in which Carla would finish her studies and we would not see each other again– a very dear teacher of ours gave David the perfect excuse to start talking: a picture of her that he had taken that week. Yes, a photo is what united us. From that photo, David knew that the name of who was till now the “tall girl with Japanese-like eyes” is Carla and the photo was the excuse to finally start talking. At two weeks the first kiss came, at two months we started living together, and in 2016 we photographed the first wedding together.
After a while calling us ‘Daicar Estudio’ we felt we needed a name that would represent us more. To talk about us, about our past, where we are and what we like.
As you do not know, we also tell you: David is from Altea and Carla studied there the degree in Fine Arts. Besides, we lived 20 meters from each other, literally the building across the road, although it is not there where we met.
Truth is that Altea was the “trigger” since in a talk by a photographer they attended David asked about two of his photos taken in his town and Carla was surprised that he knew it.
Just as true is the love we have for that Mediterranean town of the Costa Blanca, with its typical streets, the sea next to it, the white walls, the dome of the Mediterranean, the fame of the artistic town that it has always had, having grown up there, the coffee shops at dawn having a cup of coffee in front of the beach, with the lights that Sorolla represents so well appearing in front of us, with the noise of the sea…Well, we are d’Althea. That way, with interspersed h, because we are that Mediterranean.
And our photography is also from there: it is a way of photographing weddings as pretty as this beautiful town; naturally, without the need to follow a specific protocol, without posing, just getting carried away by the joy of the Mediterranean that distinguishes us. Enjoying a unique and special day, without the need to fill it with artifices because you are already wonderful in your essence. We only want you to be yourselves and enjoy your people, your moments and your party. That you cry, jump, shout, kiss, hug, drink, eat, laugh, dance and as many actions and reactions as you can think of. We will make it indelible in time, as are our memories –and those that are yet to come– in the streets of Althea.
10 things about David
– In addition to wedding photography I do portraits on davidrota.com
– I love bicycles, in fact I worked 7 years repairing them, and with a friend we have always had the mental image of opening our own bike shop in a Scandinavian country
– I love the sea
– And coffee, not only for the taste, but for what may arise around it
– I spent 8 months touring and photographing the entire Valencian Community for “Valencian Community Tourism”, entity part of the Valencia Tourism Agency. And, after going through the region from end to end, Altea is still the most beautiful place in the whole area.
– I listen to music all day long. And all day is all day. I have tried to learn to play the guitar several times but I am much better at listening to it than playing it.
– IZAL is one of my favorite groups whose singer, Mikel, I have portrayed, –and it was a rush–. Nonetheless, I also listen to Bruce Springsteen, Alan Parson, Arctic Monkeys, Queen, Calle 13, Café Quijano, Estopa, La Raíz, ZOO, Foo Fighters, Yann Tiersen, Manel, Oasis, Sidecars, Rubén Pozo, Rafael Lechowski, The Cranberries…
– One of my favorite TV show is The Office, I’ve seen it in its entirety about 9 times
– I love the Sega Mega Drive and the PlayStation (the 1st one). Today I still play with them once in a while.
– I’d be a singer if it wasn’t for the voice
10 things about Carla
– I love to draw and I complement the photography with the illustration. It’s the other part of my work: grisaceos.com
– My favorite food is kebab, even though a ‘patatas bravas’ plate is very much welcomed too (god save the ali-oli). Also sushi. I love food!
– I love paperwork and I could spend hours looking at artistic materials. I’m addicted to planners and notebooks but I’m working on it haha.
– I’ve always had colorful hair, like green or pink. I find it weird to have it just brown
– Titanic is the movie I have seen the most times, in fact that’s the reason why I started to draw when I was a kid. I wanted to draw like Jack.
– I faint when I see needles/blood, but my ears are full of earrings. That’s me.
– I’m a huge fan of 90s toys. Furbies seem very cute to me, mine is in some kind of an altar. I also have a tamagotchi, a cocolotti and a cabbage doll (David is looking weird right now).
– I had chickenpox with 16 years
– I cry very easily, so don’t worry if my face is full of tears when you meet me, it would probably be of joy.
– I have exhibited my illustrations more times in Madrid than in my own city
– I would love to live in New York. I have an obsession with this city and I think I won’t be able to stop crying the first time I visit it.
What our lovely couples say about us
Use the arrows to move between reviews
Olivia and Maxim
"We are beyond satisfied of our wedding experience with David, Carla and d'Althea photography! Our number one request was that all pictures would feel natural, that the people at the wedding would not feel pressured under the lens and that the overall mood had to be easy-going. Those request were met!
Not only did they make us feel comfortable but they were so cool and friendly. Both of them always smile and no mather the organizational changes they adapted swiflty and efficiently. They listened to our photo concepts and needs and applied our request in their shooting.
We received the pictures rapidly both physically and digitally. They also sent us special attentions like drawn portraits, suggestions of music to listen to while looking at the pictures and tea to drink while discovering the pictures.
We highly recommend these two professional photographers because they made our wedding experience that much better.
Thanks again from the bottom of our hearts.
Olivia and Maxim"
Zoe and Luke
"We hired David & Carla as our photographer & videographer for our wedding day on 13th October 2019. As an English couple wanting their wedding in Spain, we were concerned there would be a language barrier & cultural issue when choosing a photographer. Because of our concerns we asked to meet David & Carla a year ahead of the wedding to see if we got on with them well and speak to them about what we wanted for our day. David spoke perfect English and they were both so lovely and friendly. We knew we had to have them for our wedding.
I think David & Carla were one of the best things we could have done for our wedding. On the wedding day they literally did not stop all day, videoing & taking photos & they were so natural & they came up with so many different & amazing ideas, they just blended in with our day completely. Nothing was too big or too small for them, we asked them to provide us with at least 200 photos for us for our wedding party back in England the week after & they managed it within 4 days after the wedding & they even managed to do us a short trailer of our wedding video which was above and beyond what we expected.
Everyone from the party commented on how beautiful the photos were and how natural they look. When we received the whole run of photos and the long video, they arrived in a tote bag with our initials hand sewn on & a box with a few photos printed off, a painting of one of our photos, tea, magnets with our star signs on & a memory stick with a lovely instruction note tied to it, everything was handmade and such a perfect last little touch. They had captured every moment and every last detail of the whole day. The photos & video are completely natural. We are so happy & pleased with how our photos & video have turned out. We will look back on our wedding day with the most amazing memories through the video & photos they have taken. Thank you so much David & Carla for capturing our day. From your friends in England, Mr & Mrs Renshaw xx"
Laura y Alejandro
" (Translated from Spanish) David and Carla are simply wonderful, great professionals. With their photographs we now have precious memories from our wedding and moments captured with great naturalness and care. Nothing was forced. And that's not all: they are great people who spread sympathy and humility. We are very shy in front of a camera but with them it was as if there was no camera. We are infinitely grateful and happy to have found them for our day. The result was a 10/10 from beginning to end. We would trust them again with our eyes closed. They are totally recommended."
Kristen and Rami
"We are so happy we found David and Carla when searching for a wedding photographer in Valencia. David photographed our wedding and the photos are absolutely amazing! We love them! We enjoyed our time working with David. He was always quick to reply to questions before the wedding and he was fun to be with on our wedding day. The session felt natural and there were a lot of laughs. I highly recommend d'Althea!"
Laura and Alberto
"(Translated from Spanish) David and Carla are exceptional. Since the very beginning it was incredible how they connected with us, with spectacular and very natural images. With outstanding manners they captured all those moments without us even noticing. We have every memory of our wedding captured in amazing pictures. You can tell how much they care about their work. We arranged our wedding from a different city and they make things very easy for us. Highly recommended, they are simply amazing. The feeling with them was perfect, even our guests told us about their professionalism. They are a safe value for a celebration of this importance"
Roxy and Adam
"We had David & Carla as our wedding photographers in September, they came to Moraira for our ceremony and wedding party! They were fabulous from the first time we contacted, friendly, warm and understanding of what we were looking for! They became part of our wedding party on the day, they captured the most intimate and wonderful moments of our special day in a relaxed way. Their attention to detail was beautiful and I can’t stop looking over the photos, the wonderful little extras that came with everything we received was so personal and shows how proud they are of their work and of course how talented they are! We would very highly recommend them! X"
Patri and Carlos
"(Translated from Spanish) We are amazed with David and Carla's pictures of our wedding. You can see their good work in their pictures, but their closeness, kindness and the way they accompany you during the process and during the special day is what best defines them. We would pick them again without a doubt and we would recommend them to everyone."
Bea and Matt
"(Translated from Spanish) Outstanding service from beginning to end. They were very close since the very first moment. The pictures -pre wedding, wedding and photocall- were wonderful. Very fast delivery and very professional. Carla is quite an artist!! We would count with them again and again"
Irene and Massi
"(Translated from Spanish) They are great, they make you feel so comfortable and the pictures are amazing. They are very professional, the best. I recommend them 100%"
We are part of the Spanish “Asociación Profesionales Bodas España (APBE)” (Wedding Professionals Association Spain) in order to unite with all the different actors that take place in a wedding and be part of a huge team of wedding professionals who aim to be better every day, offering better services with the highest possible quality.